No values returned for site/custom columns (Content View Only)

May 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM

It appears that when I try and query the value of a site column using the Content View Rollup it does not return any values.  This only seems to have issues when the column name has a space.  Even when referenced properly with <word>_x0020_<word> it fails to return results.  I tried the same fields and query, literally cut and paste, with the grid rollup and the proper data was returned.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I'm having this same issue and was wondering about using the rollupdatasource rather then the crosssitedatasource.  the docs say rollup is depricated. i wonder if there is a performance issue or something.

Coordinator
Mar 8, 2010 at 10:22 PM

the RollupDataSource uses object model to traverse the web hierarchy to aggregate rolled up line items. Using this datasource, performance can be negatively impacted whenever more than 10-15 webs has to be traversed as a part of an aggregation op.

The CrossSiteDataSource is a wrapper to SPSiteDataQuery that in turn creates SQL queries against the table structure hosting SharePoint list data. This approach performs much faster than object model-based aggregation.

The SqlRollupDataSource mimics the logic of SPSiteDataQuery by building direct Sql queries. However, due to a number of tradeoffs in the number of list schema mismatch scenarios it supports, the datasource is generally able to deliver higher performance over CrossSiteDataSource. Additionally, the SqlRollupDataSource is capable of retrieving data across site collections so long all of those site collections reside in the same content DB.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Val,

Is there a solution to this problem? We are not able to user columns with spaces in the data source. It does not retrieve data even if we give the correct internal name with _x0020_ for the spaces. I checked the internal names by writing a console app to get the internal names. Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Bhuvan